Monday, August 11, 2014

How to Teach Colors and Numbers, the Easy Way

Family board games are an excellent way to teach certain basic skills to children.  For some reason, the majority of children that I have been in contact with, especially my own, have learned more through the use of games and toys than through the use of special curriculum.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't have curriculum, but I am saying that sometimes there are easier ways to learn things. 

For the past fourteen years, I have taught colors and numbers at the same time, through the use of the timeless UNO card game.  Since we are playing to learn, rather than playing to win, I let the little people lay their cards out on the table so that me and other older players can help.  The gist of the game is to match either the color or the number to the card that is face up on the table.  The colors in the game are primary colors and the numbers don't go past nine.  There are a few other types of cards in the game to make it more interesting, which helps with logic, and isn't math all about logic?  Wasn't that easy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment