Sunday, July 20, 2014

Literature in the Homeschool

Many English textbooks cover literature.  However, does literature learned from an organized curriculum turn children into lovers of classic stories, poems and novels?  It might, but it never worked that way for me or for my children.  I have always loved to read, as long as I got to choose the books that I was reading, but I never loved to read the books that my teachers commanded that I had to read within a certain time frame.  I'm no expert in psychology, but it seems like it works that way for a lot of students. 

The easiest way to fit great literature into your school day is to not schedule it.  Don't break out the boring classics, sit your children down and insist on reading it or on them reading it to you.  Just........DON'T. 

Instead, be selective about the books that you read for fun.  For bedtime stories we are currently reading from a collection of Beatrix Potter stories and a Bible story book.   We never read these books for school work.  They are read when Tarja comes along and says, "Will you read me a bedtime story?"  They are also read when Tarja is playing and suddenly asks, "Will you read to me?"  Isn't that easy?  She gets her story.  I get her literature or Bible lesson covered, and nobody even knows about it. 

Have a Great Day!
Laurel Santiago


No comments:

Post a Comment